- Encourage And Empower All To Contribute Their Talents To The Best Of Their Abilities.
- A Community Is Strengthened By Each Member's Contributions.
- Inclusive Communities Are Strong Communities
We Empower Quadriplegics to be Inspiring Catalysts for Inclusion in their Communities.
Some Optional Subtitle
Why we Design for Quadriplegics
Almost everything designed for humans assumes finger dexterity. Five fingers is core to what differentiates humans from other species.
The products and services often packaged as technology a society produces are defined by how they will be used, and who will be using them filtered by culture.
Unfortunately, this leaves behind all who do not have use of their hands and arms: Quadriplegics regardless of the cause of impairment. SCI, ALS, MD, SMA, MS, CP, TBI, amputees, hemiplegic and brain stem stroke.
Ultimately we serve the public and all of society. We decided we could have the greatest impact on creating inclusive communities and improving the lives of people of All disabilities including the elderly by designing for those who feel like they do not fit in their communities. Quadriplegics are the most limited physically, yet have full cognitive faculties. Quadriplegics as a group are restricted and penalized from economic participation in their communities by Medicaid policies in their need for personal care.
Yet as a group, quadriplegics hold the greatest potential to significantly impact their communities by empowering them to contribute their talents by providing solutions that overcome the lack of hand and figured dexterity and provide a mental shift from programmed vulnerable dependency to confident proactive self-determination. They become inspiring heroes with imagined capes to disabled children, and leaders of inclusion through example. Ironically those are easy to solve relative to overcoming poorly planned, counterproductive, exclusionary, and unfairly punitive Medicaid policies.
The solution is intuitively simple: separate LTC Long Term Care for ALL both in qualification and management from Medicaid health insurance for emergencies, accidents, and sickness. In this way,, an employed person could still have health insurance through the Marketplace or Medicare and still receive the assistance they need to get out of bed with LTC Long-term Care without needing to qualify for Medicaid.
We believe in Equal Right to Life, Liberty, and The Pursuit of Happiness. We Believe in the Power of Will and Perspective
Add on optional description to this section
We Hold these Truths to be Self-Evident
Medicaid: Your 'Choice' as a Quadriplegic
Add on optional description to this section
Bonus Restrictions that come with Medicaid
- You are now ONLY a citizen of the state you receive Medicaid. Despite having committed no crime, you forfeited your constitutional right under the Liberty's Clause of Article 4 the US Constitution to move freely amongst the states.
- Legally, a quadriplegic on Medicaid is free to leave the state, but should you dare, you will be punished with more restrictions than child support debtors who may only lose access to their international passport, which has been highly contested in the Supreme Court but no one questions unjustified punishment of persons dependent on a wheelchair or caregiver.
- Your caregiver is officially not allowed to travel with you out of state
- If you leave your state your wheelchair will not be repaired until you return even if you're durable medical equipment supplier has offices in the state you visit.
- You will not be able to get medical supplies shipped to you even if they are normally shipped to you.
- Any employee of DHS or a County Health Department has the power to ruin your life based on their personal opinion. Without judgment, due process, and zero accountability, (you do not have the right to even know their name) can harass you through a request for sheriffs investigation.
- Despite being a legal tax paying and voting citizen and resident of your state, and despite being protected by a federal law that says you can be out of state for more than 30 days for 14 protected reasons such a studying at University or caring for a family member, there is a high likelihood your state will cut off your access to health insurance as a penalty for being out of state. Unless you can pay cash up front (in which case you wouldn't qualify for Medicaid) good luck finding a lawyer to fight your state's DHS for violating federal law. Meanwhile you will have no caregivers, and of course will be forced to abandon your out of state family, work, or studies.
- What about moving to another state? Maybe you have a job offer or just want to be closer to family. If you are a quadriplegic on Medicaid you will be severely penalized and restricted to the point where it will probably be nearly impossible. You must officially give up Medicaid in your state and renounce your citizenship before you can begin the process of applying in your new chosen state of residence which means you will have no caregivers, no access to durable medical equipment or repairs, no medical supplies such as catheters or medications. Your new state of residence may delay months or longer with no guarantee of acceptance or approval. Some states use exclusionary marketing such as this Florida web page to actively discourage disabled persons from considering a move to the state.