These Programs, Agents, Beaches, Watersports, Sailing, Aviation are unique in their effort to serve disabled wheelchair users. -- By Inclusive Adventures
(Explore Layers in top left corner menu)
Volunteer - help us expand this guide
We have hundreds if not thousands more entries to add to this map. Please Contact Us if you would be willing to help as an editor. We will provide suggestions. Simply copy and paste, add photos and YouTube videos.
If you are a wheelchair travel writer, blogger, or video podcaster please contact us about adding destination articles you have written to this map.
Volunteer On Demand Training - Google My Maps
Google Earth Outreach digital events hub offers training and experiences to help nonprofits, scientists and changemakers use mapping tools for positive social change.
- LivAbility Magazine by Ability360 - Free to Subscribe - frequent inclusive travel articles
- About the Great Loop
Colombia's Transmilenio Wheelchair Accessible Public Transit System Bogota, Medellin, and a few other cities
Samantha Travels India - Wheelchair Van Transportation & Tours - Mumbai, Goa, Delhi, Agra, Jaipur, Ranthambore. Mark Felling, Director visited India with Samantha Travels in 2012. He had an amazing trip while travelling for three weeks and seeing the Golden Triangle, which refers to the three major cities of India - Delhi, Jaipur and Agra.All these three cities are beautiful and examples of diverse culture and traditions.Samantha Travels will set you up with one of their three vehicles that is wheelchair accessible. To the best of our knowledge they are the only outfitter in the whole country that is able to offer this type of inclusive travel. A driver in India is only $8/day and caregiver $20/day!
The travel industry is rapidly recognizing the value of serving the 20% of the world's population with disabilities. Travel more than anything else, is pushing many countries to improve accessibility not only in structures and transportation, but politically. However, for wheelchair users, especially those unable to transfer themselves, a comfortable inclusive vacation is still elusive or minimally requires extensive planning and research.
Broadened Horizons will highlight a few unique all-inclusive packages to destinations worldwide where specific partner-providers have gone out of the way to offer an incredibly inclusive experience. The most challenging yet often overlooked issues will be completely addressed for each listing including power-wheelchair friendly ground transportation, ceiling lifts (if available), and recreation/tourism opportunities since Broadened Horizons understands it is not just about getting there and staying in the hotel, but experiencing all the destination has to offer!
In addition to the growing list of unique locations above, also
I will be adding extensively to this section with some of my travel tips for wheelchair users. The Comfort Carrier makes flying easier, more comfortable, less intimidating, and safer. By following some simple rules you can even feel fairly confident your wheelchair will arrived in one piece because we all know the airlines do not only break guitars!
Airlines break more than Wheelchairs
Check the dimensions of the cargo door to ensure your wheelchair can remain in me up bright position when loaded. It then gets strapped down just like you would do in your Van and remains relatively secure. Many damages occur when wheelchair does not fit to cargo door and must be tipped on its side or otherwise disassembled.
Then upon arrival different staff who have never seen that wheelchair or how it was disassembled must try to figure out how to reassemble. This leads to many problems people have encountered. Also any parts that are removable should be removed and stored in the overhead bin. Adaptive technologies take priority over all other luggage, even other passengers carry-on luggage.
The following disabled friendly travel internet resources provide a wealth of information on the organizations and companies who cater to the needs of mobility challenged individuals.
Society for Accessible Travel and Hospitality (SATH)
Founded in 1976, SATH is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to raise awareness of the needs of all travelers with disabilities, remove physical and attitudinal barriers to free access, and expand travel opportunities. sath.org
Access-able Travel Source
Dedicated to mature and disabled travelers 1995, Access-able provides information on disability magazines, how to travel with special needs, guides for cities, resorts and attractions, and where to find wheelchair and scooter rentals when you are on the road. access-able.com
Wheel Chair Accessible Resorts
This site offers advice to vacationers who are considering buying or renting a vacation timeshare that is wheelchair accessible. In addition to a resort search function, information includes important questions to ask to ensure accommodations are ADA compliant. Click here:wheel chair accessible resorts
Rolling Rains Report on Travel, Universal Design & Disability
This site provides reviews of the tourism industry from a disability perspective and follows the development of accessible leisure and travel opportunities worldwide. rollingrains.com
Provides information on businesses from around the world that specialize in travel for the disabled, including travel agents, tour operators, adventure travel companies, accessible cruise specialists, accessible van and equipment rentals, travel companions, home exchanges, and access guides for wheelchair users and other disabled travelers.disabledtravelers.com
The Opening Door
With its mission to open doors to persons with disabilities so they can enjoy all that the world has to offer, this organization’s web site, travelguides.org, offers disabled friendly travel links, access guides, databases and publications. travelguides.org
An international disabled friendly travel resource that provides information on different types of holidays and a database of 3000 lodging accommodations for people with disabilities. rolliday.net
Today, individuals confined to a wheelchair can travel by nearly every mode of transportation to virtually everywhere in the world. But whether traveling two hours or two thousand miles away, traveling with a wheelchair still requires a lot of thought and careful planning. Wheelchair uses must not only consider how to get from point A to point B, but what they need to do to prepare for the trip, whether they’ll find wheelchair accessible accommodations and attractions at their destination, and even little ways to make travelling with a wheelchair easier. Without proper planning, wheelchair users may find travelling more frustrating than accessible.
General Travel Tips
Many of the tips designed for individuals with disabilities also apply to wheelchair users. From making sure they understand the types of accommodations available to them to how parking and handicapped identification works around the world, these tips help lay out what wheelchair-bound travelers should expect and how to access the resources that they need to make their trips successful.
WorldonWheelz: Travel Tips – Find advice on flying, hotels, cruises and other general wheelchair travel.
The Disabled Wheelchair Traveler: Holiday Tips – If traveling during the holidays, use these tips to help with accommodations, transportation, and other travel considerations.
FIA Guide for the Disabled Travel – Find all of the information on parking and identification that you need when traveling with a wheelchair.
Travelers with Disabilities – Discover general tips to keep in mind when traveling with a wheelchair or other disability.
Traveling By Air
With all the rules and regulations, traveling by air can easily become a frustrating method of travel for anyone. Add in a wheelchair and the chance for frustration increases. Understanding the specific rules and guidelines that apply to wheelchairs and taking time understand all that flying with a wheelchair entails can help reduce the stress and frustration at the airport.
How to Travel by Air with a Wheelchair – These tips make flying with a wheelchair a less stressful experience.
Flying with a Wheelchair and Other Mobility Aids – Gain an overview of what happens when flying with a wheelchair.
Flying Tips for Wheelchair Users – The AARP offers some flying tips designed particularly with older wheelchair users in mind.
Air Travel Tips for Wheelchair Users – A short video outlines steps wheelchair users should take when they fly.
Wheelchairs and Scooters – Make sure you review the TSA guidelines for traveling with a wheelchair before heading to the airport.
Information About My Wheelchair – Use the placard to provide information about your wheelchair to airline or other transportation employees.
Making Travel Easier
While tips for disabled individuals may be helpful for wheelchair users, they experience some challenges that do not apply to all disabled people. Simply carrying a suitcase or getting in the door of the swanky hotel they booked can be a challenge.
When ramps and other accessibility features fail to appear, travel can become downright impossible. Learning what challenges may arise and how to handle those challenges or effectively complain about them can make traveling with a wheelchair much easier.
Traveling with Disabilities – Adam Lloyd, a notable speaker on accessible travel, discusses ways to make traveling with disabilities easier.
Luggage Tips for Wheelchair Travel – Managing bags can be difficult for wheelchair users, but these tips help make sure they have what they need.
When Your Accessible Travel Plans Go Awry: How to Effectively Complain – Sometimes things don’t go as planned; these tips help you handle those situations.
5 Things You Can Do to Help Your Wheelchair-bound Travel Companion – Those traveling with wheelchair users can also help make traveling easier.
Attractions and Accommodations
Wheelchair users can travel virtually anywhere in the world, but some places make it easier. From wheelchair-friendly cities to special tourist experiences designed specifically with wheelchairs in mind, wheelchair users can plan a vacation they will enjoy. They may even discover some trips they never thought they could take, such as kayaking the world’s greatest rivers or exploring the beaches of the Caribbean.
The Most Handicap Accessible Destinations Around the World – Being wheelchair-bound does not have to limit where people go, as this list of handicap accessible destinations shows.
Accessible Trip Experts- Learn about wheelchair accessible locations from others using a wheelchair and discover the best places to visit.
Disabled Travel Trends – Discover some new travel trends and, perhaps, get ideas for a future trip.
Tips on Finding the Right Wheelchair Accessible Hotel – Not all hotels have highly accessible rooms, so it pays to check them out in advance.
Traveling with Your Wheelchair – Four wheelchair users share their experiences during four unique trips.
Cruise Hints and Tips – Even taking a cruise is not out of the question for wheelchair users.
Cruising with a Disability – Find practical advice to help plan and enjoy a cruise while using a wheelchair.
Best Ships for Cruisers with Disabilities – Not all cruise ships are ideal for people with disabilities, but this article helps you know what to look for.
Swedish Independent Living Center. Vacation Home Swap
Providing accessible vacation home exchange for people around the world with disabilities. independentliving.org
A consumer oriented online magazine covering disabled friendly travel, Emerging Horizons’ primary focus is travel for people with mobility disabilities; everybody from wheelchair-users to slow walkers. Information covers resources, news and travel tips. candy-charles.com
World on Wheelz
Originally created to be a helpful tool for disabled travelers who were planning their own trips, World On Wheelz now works with a travel agency to arrange and book accessible trips for disabled travelers. worldonwheelz.com
Access Travel Center
This site features a broad array of travel related information including links to discount travel information, cruises, hotels providing access for disabled guests, transportation and more. accesstravelcenter.com
Travel Access Services (TASC)
TASC is an international organization that offers a database to assist individuals with travel planning by matching travelers’ accessibility needs with disabled friendly travel and hospitality providers. tascinternational.org
Gimp on the Go
A web site filled with travel reviews, tips, photographs and resources on a wide range of travel-related topics. gimponthego.com
Travel with a Challenge
Provides information about cruise and land vacations specifically designed for mature travelers and those who are mobility challenged.travelwithachallenge.com
Global Access News
Accessible travel reports and free e-zine. globalaccessnews.com
- Access-Able Travel Source -- Access information for disabled travelers
- Accessible Journeys
- Alpenglow Adventures - Serving Children with Disabilities
- armchair.com: handicapped-accessible
- Destination Hope - Special Needs Travel and Recreational Assistance
- Global Access - a Network for Disabled Travelers
- Global Dialysis: Dialysis Centres and Travel around the world
- Hotels Combined - Accessible Hotel Search for Travelers with Disabilities
- InnSeekers Bed & Breakfast Search - listing wheelchair accessable B&Bs
- Medical Travel, Inc. - The Disability Travel Experts
- National Center on Accessibility
- Society For Accessible Travel & Hospitality (SATH)
- Travel Guide For The Wheelchair Traveler
- Vacation Home Exchange - Persons with Extensive Disabilities
- World On Wheelz - Specialists in Wheelchair Accessible Travel Arrangements
- Wheels Up! Wheelchair Travel Specialists
- World First - Pre-Existing Medical Conditions Travel Insurance
- Accessable Journeys - Licensed companions
- Environmental Traveling Companions
- Friendship Ventures - creates unique educational, recreational and social opportunities for people of all ages with mental and physical developmental disabilities.
- Guided Tour,Inc -Travel for persons with developmental and developmental & physical challenges
- Luck Mindy Adventures - escorted, assisted travel for adults with disabilities, small-group and custom tours
- Search Beyond Adventures - provides all-inclusive escorted vacations for travelers with disabilities and special needs
- Splore - Accessible Outdoor Adventures
- Travel And Recreation for The Developmentally Disabled
- Travel Aides International
- TRIPS - Escorted group travel for developmentally disabled adults
- Trips R Us - Travel , Social Programs and recreation for people with special needs
- Vent Love, Inc.
- Ventures Travel - supervised travel vacations for persons with disabilities.
- Free & Low Cost Medical Transport
- Hire Mobility - Wheelchair Accessible Vans Australia
- Project ACTION Technical Assistance - Accessible Community Transportation In Our Nation
- Runways Transportation Co - Accessible Transportation in North Florida between Jacksonville and the Beaches and Gainesville.
- ScootAround - provides scooter and wheelchair rentals in over 500 US locations and some parts of Europe
- Sydney Electric Wheelchair Rentals
- Wheelchair Travel For The Disabled Visitor Minibus Hire Car Rentals (UK)
|Toll-Free Hotline For Air Travelers With Disabilities The hotline will provide general information to consumers about the rights of air travelers with disabilities, respond to requests for printed consumer information, and assist air travelers with time-sensitive disability-related issues that need to be addressed in "real time." The line is staffed from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. Eastern time, seven days a week. Air travelers who experience disability-related air travel service problems may call the hotline at 1-800-778-4838 (voice) or 1-800-455-9880 (TTY) to obtain assistance. As in the past, air travelers who would like DOT to investigate a complaint about a disability issue must submit their complaint in writing or via e-mail. Click here for details.|
- TSA: Travelers with Disabilities and Medical Conditions
- Flying with Disability
- Equal Access to Transportation (DOT)
- Guidelines for Aircraft Boarding Chairs
- Aircraft Stowage Procedures For Powered Wheelchairs
- Securement Of Wheelchairs And Other Mobility Aids On Transit Vehicles
- Airlines Information for Disabled Travelers
- Mobility Air Transport (MAT) is a non-profit organization dedicated to making air travel more accessible, convenient, and comfortable for the mobility impaired and their travel companions.
- Airline Websites:
- United Airlines - Access for People with Disablities
- Specialty Air Transport
- Global Medical Escorts - long distance medical assistance services over commercial airlines
- JET I.C.U. - the specialist in critical-care transportation. (I have used them and recommend them)
- MMA: Mercy Medical Airlift Charitable Air Transportation
- Revolution Air - Private Jet Charter Services
- Yahoo! Emergency Services:Ambulance Service:Airlift
- Haseltine Systems Corporation - containers to protect wheelchairs during air travel
Camps for Children
- Victory Junction Gang Camp
- Ability Camp Conductive Education for Children with Motor Disorders
- Camp Nuhop - For boys and girls with learning disabilities
- Camp Lee Mar - for kids and young adults with special needs 5 to 21 years old
- Challenge Air - flights for disabled children
- Camp Without Barriers for Children and Adults with Disabilities
- Kids' Camps - Special Needs Camps
- Kids' Camps - cancer/oncology Camps
- Kids' Camps - burn Camps
- Kids' Camps - Visually Impaired Camps
- Barrier-free Tourism for People with Disabilities in the Asian and Pacific Region
- New York City For Dummies (Dummies Travel)
- San Francisco For Dummies (Dummies Travel)
- Walt Disney World & Orlando For Dummies 2005 (Dummies Travel)
- PassPorter's Walt Disney World for Your Special Needs: The Take-Along Travel Guide and Planner!
- Aaa's Barrier-Free Travel Hawaii
- Access for Disabled Americans - A Guide for The Wheelchair Traveler
- Around the World Resource Guide, Fifth Edition 2003
- Hawaii - A Guide for The Wheelchair Visitor
- Able to Travel - True Stories by and for People With Disabilities
- Access America Guide to the Rocky Mountain National Parks
- Access to Air Travel for People With Reduced Mobility
- Accessible Trails in Washington's Backcountry - A Guide to 85 Easy Outings
- Barrier-Free Travel: A Nuts and Bolts Guide for Wheelers and Slow Walkers
- Berlitz Complete Guide to Cruising and Cruise Ships 2004 - includes section for the physically challenged.
- California Parks Access - A Complete Guide to the State and National Parks for Visitors With Limited Mobility
- Easy Access to National Parks - The Sierra Club Guide for People With Disabilities
- Exotic Destinations for Wheelchair Travelers - Hotel Guide to the Orient Hong Kong MacAu Singapore Taiwan Thailand
- Fodor's Great American Vacations for Travelers With Disabilities (2nd Ed) - With Complete Accessibility Information on Hotels, Restaurants and Attractions
- Handicapped in Walt Disney World : A Guide for Everyone
- How to Travel-A guidebook for Persons with a Disability
- Rick Steves' Easy Access Europe 2004
- Rollin' on : A Wheelchair Guide to U.S. Cities
- The Rough Guide to Travel Health
- Travel Access in London : A Guide for Those Who Have Problems Getting Around
- Travel for the Disabled : A Handbook of Travel Resources and 500 World Wide Access Guides
- Travelability - A Guide for Physically Disabled Travelers in the United States
- Traveling...Like Everybody Else - A Practical Guide for Disabled Travelers
- Walks in Welcoming Places - Walks in the Northeast for the Not So Young and the Disabled
- Wheelchair Around the World
- Wheels and Waves - A Cruise-Ferry Guide for the Physically Handicapped
- Department of Transportation Accessibility
- Access for Disabled Americans
- Access-Able's Newsletters Page
- Emerging Horizons Accessible Travel Newsletter
- Office du transport du Canada / Canadian Transportation Agency
- ADA Guidelines for Over-the-Road Bus Companies
- Yahoo! Clubs thedisabledtraveler - A forum to discuss travel for disabled, and to exchange special-needs travel resources to help those travelers with a physical or developmental handicap to get out and see the world.
When We Travel
Wheelchair Accessible Hotels Find hotel rooms from over 70,000 hotels around the world. Search by hotel, price range, rating, and even amenities.
- When We Travel Search Hotel Destinations
- Accessible Accommodations
Rooms Plus .net
Reservations Motel Directory Plus Travel Guide.
- Hotels-by-City for U.S. Canada & Europe
Over 65,000 Hotels Worldwide.
- Mobility Advisor Wheelchair Accessible Hotels
- Wheelchair Accessible Europe
Vacation Home Exchange
- IndependentLiving.org Vacation Home Exchange
- Wheelchair Accessible Owner Rentals
- Perfect Places Handicap Accessible Vacation Rentals
- Access Travel Center Wheelchair Accessible Vacation Rentals - United States
- HomeAway.co.uk shows 36,000 wheelchair accessible vacation rentals worldwide!
|Country||Type of Exchange||Last Updated|
|Accessible Lakehome in Cable, WI||United States||Swap and/or Rent||2012-02-10|
|House in Abruzzo Italy||Italy||Swap and/or Rent||2011-06-09|
|Suburban home just outside Raleigh, NC, USA||United States||Swap and/or Rent||2011-04-10|
|Cozy house in Stockholm||Sweden||Swap and/or Come and stay||2010-09-10|
|House in Victoria, BC||Canada||Swap and/or Come and stay||2010-09-07|
|Apartment, Jerusalem||Israel||Swap only||2010-08-31|
|Individual villas in Chiang Mai||Thailand||Come and stay and/or Rent||2010-08-23|
|House, Lake Okanagan, BC||Canada||Swap and/or Come and stay||2010-07-16|