For anyone unable to walk, many destinations or activities seem impossible. New opportunities as broad as your imagination await! Indispensable for active disabled individuals, recreation, and travel organizations serving the disabled.
Our Evacuation Packages are indispensable for evacuation from any multi-story building that does not leave anyone behind. Remember elevators automatically shut down. Emergency preparation starts with being prepared for the unexpected!
The Comfort Carrier has been proven to be the most efficient, preferred method to get persons unable to walk on and off aircraft of all sizes around the world - jumbo-jets, small regional, and even private recreational.
Airline personnel and contractors from those directly assisting disabled and elderly persons to board aircraft, to heads of all ground operations at multiple airports have enthusiastically expressed personal satisfaction after utilizing the Comfort Carrier to assist disabled, injured, or other nonambulatory persons.
- Craig Hospital in Denver Colorado, the leading spinal cord injury rehabilitation center in the United States recommends every quadriplegic patient to acquire a Comfort Carrier before being discharged to go home.
- United States Secret Service purchased the Comfort Carrier to evacuate elderly, disabled, or injured persons unable to walk quickly and efficiently from the White House and US Capital under a wide variety of emergency situations.
- A safety consultant for Northwest Airlines at the age of 65 who said she had back surgery a few years earlier personally tested the Comfort Carrier by successfully lifting and transfering a 250-pound disabled man approximately 5 feet from his wheelchair to another chair. She wanted to personally experience saying "If can do it then nearly anyone should be able to."
- The Fire Chief and Captain of Denver Fire Department for the Chairman of Board entire state of Colorado shared very positive feedback after his firefighters tested the Comfort Carrier in the field. In fact, they keep it with them since it's so compact. The Chief recommended to all members of the Denver Building Owners Association to implement handicap evacuation preparedness with the Comfort Carrier as the example.
- Designed by the disabled for the disabled, the strongest endorsement is Thousands of disabled persons and their families have purchased Comfort Carriers for personal use as the most dignified, comfortable method of being lifted and most ergonomically efficient method for those doing the lifting for activities as diverse as getting in and out of pools or hot tubs, boats, sitting in the sand on the beach or into beach wheelchairs, adaptive kayaking, adaptive snorkeling and scuba diving, horseback riding, ATVs and other motorsports, or simply up the stairs to enter a family member's home visiting for the holidays.
Save yourself physically and mentally - get a Comfort Carrier TODAY!
Be prepared for the unexpected, even in normally accessible locations, an elevator might be out of order or the vehicle with a wheelchair lift broke down
- Train, inaccessible Bus, Van, or automobile (indispensable when exploring less developed countries, when adapted vehicles are not affordable or available such as rental cars or taxis)
- Cruise Ship - disembarking in smaller ports of call & take advantage of local sightseeing opportunities that might otherwise not be possible
- Stairs (be carried up or down separate from ones wheelchair)
- Hotel Bed (when lifts are not available, cannot be used because of no space under bed, bed is wrong height, or those assisting with transfer simply don't have the experience or strength for sliding board, standing pivot or other transfer techniques
- Try new things that were otherwise simply too difficult or thought impossible
- Kayak, Canoe, Sailboat, Speedboat Sit Ski (water or snow), tubing, sledding
- Camping (wheelchair to sleeping bag)
- Swimming, Beach, Picnic (wheelchair to grass/sand/water - Pool, Lake, Ocean)
- Amusement Park (experience the roller coaster for the first time or again)
- Biking - Recombinant, Arm Bike / Hand Cycle, even tow trailer seat
- Motorsports - ATV, Snowmobile, Go-kart
- Horseback Riding (combined with a sturdy tree, 4 rock climbing Carabiners, a belay safety equipment & rope)
- Hunting & Fishing - duck boat, tournament angler boat, ATV / Ranger, etc. Tree stand (combined with a sturdy tree, 4 rock climbing Carabiners, belay safety equipment & rope)
- Transfers to Recliner, Couch, Standing Frame, or to floor to play with infant son or daughter
- Emergency - when you fall out of your wheelchair or your wheelchair tips over
Personal Emergency Preparedness Planning
- Hurricane Katrina demonstrated disabled people need to be prepared themselves and can't always depend on rescue workers who may not have the required equipment - are you going to wait to find out?
- Fire (elevators shut down)
- Flood, Tsunami, Hurricane (go to higher level or evacuation by boat)
- Tornado (go down into basement or other secure, wheelchair inaccessible location)
- Earthquake, Landslide, even Terrorism, etc. (crumbled buildings & debris)
Sit Skiing: carried from wheelchair 20' down hill to the beach (early prototype). Leverage makes all the difference! Guy on right in yellow is 5'2" and 125 lbs. helping comfortably transfer a person 5'11" and 236 pounds!
- Safer with less chance of individual being dropped or injured
- Comfortable for individual being transferred, less chance of being lifted in a painful manner
- Maintains individual in natural seated position while securing legs during transfer
- Easy repositioning, especially pulling individual all the way back into seat
- No more torn clothing or embarrassments from accidentally dislodged or disconnected urinary collection devices
- Only 2 individuals required to assist with transfer
- No special skills or training for those assisting with transfer required
- Transfer lifting can be performed from front & back (aircraft) or each side (kayak)
- Saves backs or other strain injuries of those assisting with transfer
- Easily slipped around individual while seated in wheelchair or any other seat
- Fits securely like special-purpose clothing - can be left in position during activity
- Lightweight & folds up for compact, easy portability such as in exterior pocket of carry-on luggage (only 10" x 11" x 3")
- Highly Adjustable! 2 Sizes accommodates almost all individuals up to 400 pounds!
- American-Made Craftsmanship, Super Strong & Durable, Machine washable. 1 Year limited Warranty.
Related Information Resources
- Our Inclusive Travel World Map of Destinations, Programs, and Agents
- UnitedSpinal.org "Accessible Air Travel: A Guide for People with Disabilities" - Transfer & Lifting
- Flying with Disability is a great informational site by Max Jennings
- ABLE to Travel - Specializing in travel arrangement for people with disabilities - provides knowledgeable travel agents that have dealt with challenges that a traveler using a wheelchair may encounter.
- Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan (PEEP) Worksheetfor disabled individuals
- University of Cambridge -Guidance for writing a Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan (PEEP)
The Comfort Carrier Evacuation Package is also available for any multi-story building, areas at risk for flooding, fire, or any other emergency situation. When planning for emergency preparedness, be sure that your plan includes the needs of everyone.
Patented. Reproduction or use of this concept / design without the express written permission of Broadened Horizons, Inc. is strictly prohibited.Dow